DIY- Hello Kitty Cat Costume

by SweetSugarMama on September 29, 2011

This was my inspiration…..

So I’ve been spending the last couple of days surfing the web for this cat costume to find out they only sell it in Japan.  Well, that’s just great, I can just swing by on my next trip there.  NOT!  What are these folks thinking?  Don’t they know Americans buy this type of junk for their pets too?  So, I did the next best thing to hopping on a plane across the world to shop for my pet.  I decided to make one myself.

Okay people…don’t expect miracles, ya hear!  This is a cheap imitation of the real thing!  At least it won’t cost you an airplane ticket.  At first I thought it would just be cruel to keep this head on my cat for too long.  Long enough to take cute pictures would be plenty for me (“Mom, but it sooooo cute”).  I was armed with the treats she loves, just enough to bribe her into wearing her pretty little head on…if only just for a second.  Instead, she actually didn’t notice she had it on.

I wanted to keep mine light and airy so she wouldn’t be too uncomfortable.

I got the inspiration when I was shopping at Target and noticed this cutie staring back at me and for just $5 bucks.

First step is to cut with an Xacto knife around the eyes and nose.  See below.

BOOOO!!!!  Hallow Kitty

Cut off the head and take the stuffing out.

Fold the edges inside and sew the edges around the head.  If you’re not really good at sewing, don’t sweat it!  Use fabric glue instead.

Once that’s done, cut a white ribbon and sew it around the “neck” of the head.  Again, if you’re not really good at sewing, just use fabric glue to attach the ribbon.

And here it is…our own very Coco acting like a spoiled brat with her costume.  I wish I would have gotten a size bigger doll just so it fell a bit down on her face…..but it’s still cute.

Our own little Hallow Kitty.

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Margarita September 30, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Wow! You are so creative! I love her with her hat, she has such beautiful eyes! The cutes cat ever! Go coco!

SweetSugarMama October 1, 2011 at 1:20 am

Hola Margarita! Coco is too much. She is one fierce cat. I guess I can’t blame her with the things we make her wear. Un besote, Judy.

Rory, Chocolate Hair / Vanilla Care February 26, 2012 at 1:57 am

super cute! i had to share, we did a HK costume for my daughter and was just looking up what other people did…..found you post and was DYING! love it! :-D

SweetSugarMama February 27, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Thanks Rory! What girl (no matter the age) doesn’t love HK and her friends? By the way, your daughter is so cute. What a great smile!

I will be posting instructions on how to make HK charms that are extremely easy to make & lots of fun. Should have it up some time today!

Alissa August 1, 2012 at 12:04 pm

So cute! I have two black kitties and I found a “goth” hello kitty that i’m going to use with your idea. Thanks for the directions!

SweetSugarMama August 1, 2012 at 12:37 pm

That’s awesome! Send me a pic so I can post it for everyone to see.

Wendy October 1, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this. I have been searching for this costume to no avail. I did get on the website where they sell it but I am not fluent in Chinese, Japanese, etc. SOO….thanks again!

SweetSugarMama October 1, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Awesome! So glad I could be of help. :)

sarah October 4, 2012 at 12:45 am

what a good idea! I couldn’t find the actual costume either, so I’m just looking for a stuffed animal. About how big was the one you got from Target?

SweetSugarMama October 8, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Hi Sarah,

I found the stuffed animal at Target, in the section where all the halloween goodies are. It was about six inches tall. I guess it depends how big your pet is. My cat was a kitten so it was perfect for her at the time. You have to consider leaving a bit of room so the ears are comfy and not too squished in there. Let me know if you have any other questions & have fun!!!!

BROOKE March 27, 2013 at 9:15 pm

NO joke I have been waiting this outfit for my cat for years. The HK costume in japan is sold out, it was a limited edition. I just happened to find your blog today and totally going to recreate this. Finally I have some instructions on how to make my own. Thanks!!

SweetSugarMama March 29, 2013 at 6:05 pm

No joke…this is my most commented blog post. It’s crazy how many people have sent me emails asking if I’m willing to make them one. I’m terrified of it not really fitting their cat’s head. I actually tried contacting Japan to see if I could get one but no luck. I’m thinking of creating a tutorial too with felt fabric. Something easy enough for people who can’t sew. I’m brainstorming. Maybe even a garfield costume too? Let me know if there’s a character in specific. I have some people asking me for different characters so I’m taking as many ideas as possible. Thanks again for commenting & I’m glad I was able to help. Send me a pic when you’re done and I’ll post it!!!