Snow globes fascinate me. I love to see how the snow gently falls down to the bottom. We love to make these for different holidays. We customize with toys, figures, beads, ornaments, etc. Get creative. That’s what it’s all about.
Here’s what you’ll need.
Vegetable glycerine is optional but I highly recommend it. It makes the water a bit “heavier” and the glitter will fall slowly instead of it rushing all the way down to the lid. Think of it as adding a “slow motion” effect to your globe.
- Using a hot glue gun, glue your figure (gift card*) to the inside of the lid.
- Fill jar with water but leave enough room so when you put your figure in, the water won’t spill out.
- Add coarse glitter (I like to use white glitter but colored glitter looks great too)
- Pour about 1 to 2 tablespoons of vegetable glycerine (optional)
- Add plastic ornaments that will be floating around. Beads, balls, snowflakes, etc.
- Carefully place the lid on the bottle
- Shake gently to stir everything together
- Tie a ribbon around the lid
- Sit back and enjoy
* If you wish to include a gift card inside your globe, I recommend using as much glue as you can to the front of the card. For the back of the card, use glue sparingly but don’t put on the actual magnetic strip. I don’t think it would hurt it but just in case. You will find just a bit of glue will do the job. I’ve never had my cards damaged with the hot glue and taking off the glue should be an easy task since it will just peel off.
In the picture above, I have used the figure as a resting place for the card so I just glued the front of the card and left the back glue free. It worked out fine. Obviously, you should test it out since all figures weight differently. If you shake the jar and everything stays in place, then all is well. If not, then use more glue.
Here’s what it looks like. All I need is to tie a ribbon around the lid.
My son loves to buy old collectibles from Ebay. This will be a perfect gift for him.
Here are some of the ones we’ve made this year.
For this winter themed globe I used some branches that were out by the yard. I glued them to the bottom and hung small plastic ornaments. The deer feels right at home. Don’t you think? I love the vintage look of this one.
Yoda snow globe bobble head.
Ugly doll figure snow globe.